Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Barbara Kruger!!!



I don’t actually think I consider her an artist.  My idea of an artist is someone who creates work… I guess, from scratch.  Kruger is a little bit different, I wouldn’t consider her an artist but maybe just an activist.   She was known for her black and white images with bold, mostly red, text.  Her signature text became Futura Bold Italic.  Her work is mostly photos from the 1940s to the 1950s, she recreates them and adds her own touches.  She is an activist and boldy states her opinion in her work. 

This piece of Kruger's art seemed very interesting to me.  The person in the photo is told not to move, even though the restraints doesn't allow him to.  To me it looks like the pins can resemble this persons family, friends, the government, or anything that is holding this individual back.  



In this photo Kruger portrays a beautiful women who is possibly advertising for a product.  The text that Kruger put over says "I never wanted to be your icon."  This tells me that Kruger may think that girls are just used for advertisement.  She doesn't like that women are used for this and that they are often seen as objects.  


To tell you the truth, I am not a fan.  I was reading a few blog forums about kruger and I came across this photo.  I really thought it was interesting because I wasn’t the only one who thought this about her.  Yes, it is a little extreme but I guess I agree with it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment