Thursday, March 31, 2011

Nam June Paik


This is called TV Buddha.  This is one of my favorite pieces by Nam June Paik.  I think that it could mean so much.  The whole set up of the Buddha statue just sitting there and a tv.  The video camera is shooting the Buddha real time and displaying it on the screen.  This is brilliant.  I would have never thought of this concept.

Well I am not exactly sure what Nam June Paik is trying to say about Buddha in this piece.  I think that it can be interpreted in many ways.  Today television is taking over so much of American lives that maybe he is saying to stop and take a second to remember other important things like religion.  Or maybe he believes in Buddha so strongly that he does not think that people are taking it seriously so he is mocking them.  I am not completely sure but I really enjoy looking at this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment